Virtual Regatta Club House

Please share how the rules are actually implemented

To the developers of VR inshore,

It's a great game, especially for lockdown. However, the rules as described in the published documents do not reflect how the rules have been actualy implemented in the game. In particular rule 18 but also 15 and 16.

This is not a complaint that they are not the same as real sailing. That doesn't matter at all. What does matter is that the players can know the rules as they are being applied and sail accordingly. Otherwise the gameplay experience is frustratingly random and I'm sure you'll lose (paying) players because of it. 

Rather than forcing players to try to reverse engineer how the rules have been implemented (possible, but not fun) it would be much easier for everyone if you can share how they have actually be implemented.

Best,
A new fan of your game

To the other players,
If you agree with me, please get in contact with the developers somehow (DM them on Twitter?) and/or reply to this post with support. If you have managed to work out any of the quirks of the rules and fancy sharing them then that would be great too!

• Thanks 1

Dear JPJPJPJP and developers of VR,

I totally agree with the opinion of JPJPJPJP, that it would ad a lot to the game, if you could publish the "special" rules in the VR inshore game. For dedicated sailors it is absolutely not intuitive, that you can be crashed deliberately from behind when sailing slow before start or at a mark and get penalised for that or that a rushed change of course leaves you with no right to crash your opponent when not giving time to react etc.etc. This are some of the differencies to normal sailing I worked out during hours of experimenting. What I still didn't figuere out are the formulas used to calculate the points you get for a certain place after the race. 1st ist 100, last is 1 but the rest is difficult to model whatever formula I tried.

Thank you for the game which is great fun during lockdown anyways but please publish more details about the mechanics of the game

Macandy1

• Thanks 1

Great points mentioned above!

Also, why no rule 14 at all in the virtual rules?  Deliberate contact at strategic points seems to be the goal of those that win races consistently.  Clearly connected is rule 16.1.  There needs to be more than 1/100 of a second to respond to aggressive actions of other boats that are clearly intended to create contact.  Or, maybe penalize both boats under rule 44 so there is no incentive to create collisions.

When we all get back out on the actual water, I foresee a lot of collisions with actual damage for those who have been playing here...

Separate, yet connected point:  It'd be interesting if right of way rules also applied to upwind vs downwind boats (this may require some longer second leg lengths on courses though).

Curious George

On 4/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, JPJPJPJP said:

To the developers of VR inshore,

It's a great game, especially for lockdown. However, the rules as described in the published documents do not reflect how the rules have been actualy implemented in the game. In particular rule 18 but also 15 and 16.

This is not a complaint that they are not the same as real sailing. That doesn't matter at all. What does matter is that the players can know the rules as they are being applied and sail accordingly. Otherwise the gameplay experience is frustratingly random and I'm sure you'll lose (paying) players because of it. 

Rather than forcing players to try to reverse engineer how the rules have been implemented (possible, but not fun) it would be much easier for everyone if you can share how they have actually be implemented.

Best,
A new fan of your game

To the other players,
If you agree with me, please get in contact with the developers somehow (DM them on Twitter?) and/or reply to this post with support. If you have managed to work out any of the quirks of the rules and fancy sharing them then that would be great too!

Couldn't agree more JPJPJPJP!  

I've become completely frustrated with Mark roundings.  Complete mayhem.... VR Sailors take tactical  advantage of penalties and simply go around the mark as though nobody else was there.   Only the first, and last boat can predict how a Mark rounding will end up.  Everybody else joins the Mark Rounding lottery and da*n the rules

I too am new to the game.  (but not toSailing)....

Please explain the implementation of the rules as JPJPJPJP hopes.  I fail to see how a boat can gybe directly in front of another boat and gain right-of-way after 1/100th of a second.  "Room and Opportunity to keep Clear"

Cheers! ,

Another hopeful Fan.

17 hours ago, PJ_CAN said:

I fail to see how a boat can gybe directly in front of another boat and gain right-of-way after 1/100th of a second.  "Room and Opportunity to keep Clear"

As I've joked before it's room and opportunity to keep clear - for someone with the reflexes of a Space Shuttle commander.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are lots of good points above. The rules implementation is the single most frustrating thing about VR.

If you don't consult with a certified Sailing Judge, you should.  If what you have implemented is based on a Judge's recommendation, you should fire them.

Why not have your results actually reflect the current RRS? 

And please get rid of the whistle.  What not just a blinking red light on the boat.

-Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

completey P'd off by players who, as you are passing them by sailing a better line, will make a deliberate turn into you forcing a penalty.

can understand standard rules like starboard etc but isnt it also standard that if a boat makes deliberate contact they are usually disqualified, cmon at least slow them down.

it should be pretty easy to detect 2 boats with a straight path and who has turned into who, have had this happen several times in the last 10-30 seconds of a race losing one or more places

peter griffin family GIF

it spoils the whole game, and even though I still want to play I really hate that stupid aspect of being penalised by someone elses malicious action

im going to blow off some steam by getting shot, but at least I can shoot back

On 5/7/2020 at 3:28 AM, PJ_CAN said:

or Lewis Hamilton! 

😂

On 5/5/2020 at 7:43 AM, Sisu said:

As I've joked before it's room and opportunity to keep clear - for someone with the reflexes of a Space Shuttle commander.

if you do, i find you are all over the place, first trying to avoid then recover. so sorry everyone i've fouled when out of control

• 8 months later...

As a newb I get more than my fair share of penalties due to incompetent boat handling - fair enough we all need to learn somewhere.  What  I can't figure out is that I get far more pens when I appear to be in the right.  Some are bound to be errors or interpretations.  the majority are other players who appear to be exploiting the deficiencies in the rules engine.  Is this considered 'fair play' - its a gaming environment and consequently should I just behave the same way or are we intended to sail within the sailing rules and some just exploit the situation?