Virtual Regatta Club House

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

I'm not sure we have an answer ... but I understand you are interested in the question.

I bet on usual formula :1600*(7 Race Cat) / (Rank^0,25)

If VR doesn't give any information, we should still be able to find the formula used. 😉

il y a 23 minutes, Toppen a dit :

The answer according to Pat-Rock is "The general classification will be established as usual with the cumulative time of the 3 stages"

// Toppen

Thanks,

but à but surprised that VR says that as usual the general classification will be done with the cumulative time because they have never used this method (magellan, figaro, odyssée, mini-transat, les Sables-Horta..)

• Like 1

And now some new info from Pat-Rock, information that will require clarification from VR:

"Small precision that I have just learned, the general classification will be made on the cumulative time of the two best results."

I will ask Pat-Rock exactly how they plan to do this. The problem is obvious, if one stage is 2 days, one is 4 days and one is 6 days it will be useless to win the longest stage

// Toppen

I guess one reason for having one joker is that VR sees the opportunity to get more paying participants... 

And

1 hour ago, BGSteMarine said:

After the morning coffee 😉 :  it could be the sum of the time gap to the first for each race.  Still the question of what is the criteria for the 2 best races : ranking or time gap to the 1st ...

In my opinion the only fair way to use cumulative time from two best stages is the cumulative difference to the winner in the two stages where your time difference is the smallest, for example being 9th 5h 27m 48s behind the leader in a race with a finish like the 3rd stage of Tara Ocean would be a disaster compared to a 51th place 11m 51s behind the winner in stage 1 of eNord... i wouldn't be interested in that 9th place just because the ranking was better.

Not sure why it seems so hard for VR to give us correct easy to understand information about the rules of each race... maybe if they moved 1 person from the "how can we make more money" department to the "let's focus on the customers and the rules and communication of the game" department...

• Haha 1

You should not worry too much.

At the end, it will be something different, perhaps based on points, open only to FP, only open to the ones who did race 1 and 3, they will do a 4th race for this challenge or covid will prevent making a decision and it will be cancel.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

As a general rule (not just in virtual sailing), a prize of substantial value should never be offered without clearly defining the terms by which the prize will be determined prior to the start of competition.  Otherwise, you're always going to have confusion about who really won, angry people who think they won and are told they didn't, etc.  I started this thread in hopes of helping to avoid that, but unfortunately didn't get a response.  Hopefully VR will make a formal statement that clearly defines how the prize will be calculated, before the start of Leg 2.

I am guessing that the joker was added because of the waypoint issues in Leg 1.  With the same tricky coastal navigation in legs 2 and 3, they probably decided it would be best to mitigate associated risk with a joker, after deciding to not re-start the leg.

I'm also guessing that Pat-Rock's statement about cumulative time may be incorrect.  BGStmMarine is correct that past series for the last few years have all been calculated as a sum of points, with the points being the same as the credits earned in each event (which is the formula he provided).  I'm guessing that this is still true here, but something was lost in translation from VR to Pat-Rock to Toppen and French to English.  But we haven't heard anything official directly from VR, so we have to assume for now that Pat-Rock's information is correct, which only makes sense with a joker if it's a cumulative deficit to the leader rather than a cumulative elapsed time.

• Like 2