Virtual Regatta Club House

Custom race series scoring

torsail

Sailranks looks promising.  In their 'regattas' section I'm seeing results from multiple races scored as a series, also support for regattas larger than 20 boats.  We're a large club and have been working on a plan to do both of these things manually.  It's a real pain.  Would be great to have it pre-packaged, though I wonder how much it costs.

Not clear how sailranks is achieving this.  I haven't read anything about an VR API.  Could it be all manual?

I've now looked at the preliminary SailRank's guide and it appears that you still have to enter race results manually.  The difference from using a spreadsheet or SailWave is that you can assign a competitor to a position rather than a position to a competitor, if you wish. This probably makes the data entry easier, particularly if you have a lot of competitors and have different competitors sailing in each race. There is also provision for splitting a race into two groups and/or splitting a race into gold and silver fleets and double scoring accordingly. I haven't worked out, yet, how this feature might be used.  The application does produce a nice looking front end.  

Edited by SESCA

Hi all, you might want to consider Club2Class.Com for your series scoring also. We run a platform with club and class association management tools, special event entry and series scoring.  We also have a range of tools for communicating with sailors and generally organising stuff. Sailors also have their own dashboard for monitoring their own results and registering with events etc. All the data is in one place. You still have to double key results like in Hal or Sailwave unfortunately.  However, you can ask sailors to register at events so they effectively populate a lot of the information you need. Hope to see you all on the virtual water and hope everyone stay's safe.

4 hours ago, club2class.com said:

Hi all, you might want to consider Club2Class.Com for your series scoring also. We run a platform with club and class association management tools, special event entry and series scoring.  We also have a range of tools for communicating with sailors and generally organising stuff. Sailors also have their own dashboard for monitoring their own results and registering with events etc. All the data is in one place. You still have to double key results like in Hal or Sailwave unfortunately.  However, you can ask sailors to register at events so they effectively populate a lot of the information you need. Hope to see you all on the virtual water and hope everyone stay's safe.

but it does connect with virtual regatta? or the results still must be copied by hand

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the platform and still learning my way around the forums. At the moment I am interested in efficiently pulling results from VR Club races. Does anyone know if there is a technical forum for the platform? Would like to know about the availability of an API interface, etc. to automate score keeping.

• 2 weeks later...

We also screenshot and enter result manually into sailwave. (Our NoR adopts appendix A with minor tweaks rather than VRs high points system)

Someone said sailwave doesn't let you allocate a place to a competitor.  The easiest way is to set up the boatname field as the competitor's Pseduo.  Then use "Sailnum Wizard" with Boatname.  Its as simple as typing the first 3 or 4 characters (less if your sailors name themselves nicely!).  Once unique - hit return, next place is offered, hit return.  I can enter 20 results in about 2-3 minutes.  We have a 5 race series.  Results posted about 20mins post race provided no issues.

It wouldn't feel like a lot of effort from VR to export the result to an email that is sent to the person who set up the Custom Race.  If they did that in pretty much any format (as long as its not a picture) - I'd be able to scrape the content and import to Sailwave.

Only contentious issue might be if you stopped the race before the last boat finished but had considered it finished...  Can still be fixed in SW.

We also screenshot and enter result manually into sailwave. (Our NoR adopts appendix A with minor tweaks rather than VRs high points system)

Someone said sailwave doesn't let you allocate a place to a competitor.  The easiest way is to set up the boatname field as the competitor's Pseduo.  Then use "Sailnum Wizard" with Boatname.  Its as simple as typing the first 3 or 4 characters (less if your sailors name themselves nicely!).  Once unique - hit return, next place is offered, hit return.  I can enter 20 results in about 2-3 minutes.  We have a 5 race series.  Results posted about 20mins post race provided no issues.

It wouldn't feel like a lot of effort from VR to export the result to an email that is sent to the person who set up the Custom Race.  If they did that in pretty much any format (as long as its not a picture) - I'd be able to scrape the content and import to Sailwave.  (Or they could have a download to CSV button!)

Only contentious issue might be if you stopped the race before the last boat finished but had considered it finished...  Can still be fixed in SW.

It does seem like a bizarre rule, weird enough that I even question its veracity.

Between the required seven posts and not being able to recored race results, this can get a bit challenging.

That said, good software take a lot of work to develop, and hopefully further race management features are coming down the pipes.