Virtual Regatta Club House

Team Racing and Trolls in Inshore Racing

Your Mom SA

On occasion, I have encountered cases where a boat will ignore the race course and instead try to ruin my race.  For example, a boat that turns downwind before getting to the windward mark, and then sits on my wind no matter how much I try to get away from him.  Even if I let him pass me, he'll turn back to get back on me again.  There are other cases where it's harder to know if it's intentional or not...  For example, if a boat stays on starboard tack after the start beyond the layline, forcing me to overstand by a lot...  maybe they're doing that just to hurt me, but I think more often that it's just that they don't realize they've passed the layline.

When this is intentional, there are two possible explanations...  one is that partners are "team racing" where one boat slows down the competition so that the other can win.  The other is simply "trolling" where someone alone simply enjoys ruining someone else's race.

This doesn't matter in free beta testing.  I don't really care if someone ruins my race if I didn't pay for it.  But...  What can be done about this when VR eventually starts running Inshore regattas that cost credits?  This is the equivalent of a Rule 69 protest in real racing.  Do we have to take note of the offending boat's name and email it to VR Support, or is there a simpler way to file a complaint?  Would we get any redress for our ruined race (or credits back), or is disqualification of the offender the only thing we can ask for?  Does VR retain any logs of the races so that they could check to see what really happened if necessary?

That's all re-active...  can anything be done pro-actively?  For example, maybe if a boat hasn't rounded a mark yet, it shouldn't be able to affect the wind of a boat that has rounded that mark?

The truth is, though, that I've never paid for an Inshore virtual race and I'm not sure if I ever will.  I'm here for the Offshore stuff.  I just do Inshore when there aren't any active Offshore races.  So...  I don't mind if nothing is done about this.  I just thought it might be an interesting topic for discussion.

Edited by Your Mom SA

By the way...  I'm not talking about people trying to simply use the rules to win with aggressive racing.  That's ok as far as I'm concerned.  For example...  a quick gybe from port to starboard too close for a boat to get away, resulting in them fouling you...  in real life, you wouldn't be able to get away with that...  in virtual racing, you usually can...  I don't have a problem with that, and will do that kind of thing myself.  I'm talking about people abandoning all efforts to actually race, specifically to ruin someone else's race.

hello mate, we asked it since a long time... as you can imagine, no answer from VR even if they try solutions as no name on boats in prestart... as you say, it's free so it doesn't really matter but i well remember when i paid challenge and 've been attacked by "trolls" (fuck*ng idiots)... that drove me crazyyyyyyyy !!!!!! the better way is to sail on top of the float and be faster 

good wind 

40 minutes ago, LaMerNoire said:

hello mate, we asked it since a long time... as you can imagine, no answer from VR even if they try solutions as no name on boats in prestart... as you say, it's free so it doesn't really matter but i well remember when i paid challenge and 've been attacked by "trolls" (fuck*ng idiots)... that drove me crazyyyyyyyy !!!!!! the better way is to sail on top of the float and be faster 

good wind 

Thanks!  With it all being in French, it's hard to know what has already been discussed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Si un développeur de VRinshore voulait bien se pencher sur le respect des règles, ce serait sympa....
1 - même si on est babord à la bouée sous le vent quand on est à l'interier on est prioritaire.
2 - un bateau rattrapant qui percute (meme s'il est sous le vent) est en faute.

Et il y en  a plein comme cela ....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...