Virtual Regatta Club House

Pick boat or pin start

Sonny

It is not so much a case that you need VIP membership to get wind direction indication, you just need to have the 'Wind Direction Indication' option. This is included with VIP membership but can otherwise be 'bought' with tokens that have been collected or purchased.   If you have  the wind direction indication, you will see three red/white flags at the top of the circular 2D display, in the top left of the screen, indicating the wind direction on the left, centre and right hand side of the course. You usually (but, for some reason, not always) also get a linear wind shift display at the top, centre of the screen. Red indicates that you are on a header and green a lift, irrespective of which tack you are on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I play inshore only and don’t pay for tokens. If I win a green token I buy the VMG So i can focus on wind shifts and positioning. Before the start sail along the length of the start line from boat to pin  at exactly 90 ref to the wind if you are getting further Away from the line as you go the pin end is further upwind. It normally is slightly anyway. Then I normally sit head to wind (0 deg) for a minute And drift. From that I will see the amount of shift and timing. The shifts can be through 20 degrees but the pass is never long. Lastly once inside 1 minute to start. Do a slow tack to see the whole course and where the wind pressure is. Left or right. Use those 3 things to determine if you want to start at boat or pin end and if you want to head left or right side of the course.