Virtual Regatta Club House

Waypoint Navigation help please?

Congo

Hi, I'm new to VR (3 weeks)  and I am having a very difficult time finding any info on both Inshore and Offshore.

I've made official requests and I get referred to a very simplistic "Help Centre" which has not been of much help unfortunately.

Most importantly, I would like to access a game manual and a set of rule books if they exist.

I am participating in 3 offshore races, but I am really confused about waypoint navigation. In the help centre, it says:

"trust waypoints, especially near the coast" or similar.....

So, my questions....

1. Does the boat auto tack / gybe as required while seeking the next waypoint?

(I know you need auto sail for the sail changes if required, that's not what I mean)

2. Does the boat use best sheeting angle or auto VMG if Q1. above is TRUE?

3. Does the boat avoid grounding and obstacles if Q1. above is true, and if so,

does it get back on course for the waypoint as soon as the danger is passed?

Currently, I'm using Auto TWA because I don't know if the boat is going to luff up into the wind after a wind change while I

am offline, and I didn't learn the programming yet because I don't even understand the waypoint function thoroughly.

Edited by Congo
accuracy, grammar

Hi Congo,

welcome in VR. herebelow weblink to some guidance that was very helpful for me (special thanks to Serge Martinez )

www.martinez58400.wixsite.com/navigationvirtuelle

as far as your questions are concerned ( and if i understood you well...)

1. Yes, at WP the boat automatically gybe to the next WP set up. Sails remain the same unless you have also set up auto sails

2. No, you have to set up visually your WP as much as possible closer to the optimum VMG. if you look for VMG ste up, it might be better to use timer settings and block wind angle function.

3. No, If your WP ste up comes across lands your boat is going to stop and to stay there. Your WP settings are automaticaly lost.

Hope it helps. 

Thank you for the help.

I am still unsure of how the waypoint works in my third question above.

In real sailing, you can set a waypoint, say, directly upwind, clear of dangers ahead.

However,  there are dangers out on the tacking legs, I would have to avoid them.

So, if a boat is tacking or gybing in VR, along a route to a virtual waypoint, is this

represented in the track of your boat visually on the map or do you just see a straight

line track to the waypoint, as if your boat is just heading directly upwind to the waypoint?

In other words, could you tack or gybe into a danger with a waypoint set, even though

you are clear of dangers to the waypoint directly?

Or does a waypoint set directly upwind simply put you in irons?

So many questions, sorry if I'm being a pest, but I am in 3 races now, and it will really

help if I get my head around the details, thanks.

Hi,

here is the link to Help about waypoints ... for Virtual Regatta Offshore : www.virtualregatta.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000371933-Waypoints

The boat goes straight from one WP to the next one (Constant Heading), whatever the wind direction ... and the dangers.

If you have "autosails ON", the sails will change when necessary on Wind Speed or Wind Angle changes

Hope this helps,

regards

Edited by HRobert23

Thanks HRobert23,

So, in WP mode, there is NO tacking or gybing at all....... unless there is a wind shift enroute,

then, "autosails" will change the sail for you to suit the new wind condition, (effecting a tack,

gybe, sail change or sheet angle adjustment), without a course change, correct?

So, if you, say, get a wind shift onto the bow while on WP mode, and you are offline, 

then your boat slows, stops or goes backwards until you fix it or the wind shifts favourably?  

I'm still not clear, sorry,  VR should explain how the WP function works in detail, for us

poor souls with active minds :P

Edited by Congo
accuracy

Yes,  now you are getting the picture, simply put, your boat sails directly to the waypoint. If there is a wind shift and its is unfavorable it will affect your boats performance. Plan your WP's carefully.

You can use WP's to tack to a destination, and using "AutoSails" will help keep your optimum sails and speed.  It's something you have to experiment & try to get a feel and understanding. 

Also consider " Heading Programmer ":  to help keep you on course when off line.    https://virtualregatta.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001528854-What-is-the-heading-programmer-for- 

Again, I highly recommend experimenting and trying it out, to really get an understanding of how it works ... and welcome to VR,  I'm sure you will get the hang of it in no time..  cheers Vector

Il y a 14 heures, Congo a dit :

Thanks HRobert23,

So, in WP mode, there is NO tacking or gybing at all....... unless there is a wind shift enroute,

then, "autosails" will change the sail for you to suit the new wind condition, (effecting a tack,

gybe, sail change or sheet angle adjustment), without a course change, correct?

That is correct

So, if you, say, get a wind shift onto the bow while on WP mode, and you are offline, 

then your boat slows, stops or goes backwards until you fix it or the wind shifts favourably?  

Your boat slows or stops but does not go backwards

I'm still not clear, sorry,  VR should explain how the WP function works in detail, for us

poor souls with active minds :P

You may try all these features by using VR as a Guest ...

Thank you so much for your time and answers. It's really helped me.

I have another question now regarding waypoints.

Let's say I set a course manually with the compass heading tool, with no waypoint set,

and no TWA locked on.

Does the boat sail directly ahead as if to a waypoint, and the waypoint's only real function is

to mark (and effect) a turn point? In other words, I don't need to use a waypoint if I only

wish to plan a single leg on a route, the boat's track will stay straight on my set heading?

Edited by Congo
clarification

In addition to my question just above, just one more point to clear up for me if you

don't mind please....

Is there any more risk of grounding with or without a waypoint in that scenario above, say, if you

sail by a  lee shore closely for example? As long as the heading clears the lee shore, I am

not at risk of grounding whether I have a waypoint set or not?

Yes, when using Course Prog,  ( which is based on time, along a projected path).  With TrueWindAngle 'off',  your boat will sail directly to the 'mark',  and then change course direction at the time and angle you have programed.  When you set TWA 'on' your mark may shift direction, depending on wind angle and changing pressure systems. but the time will stay the same.  Not advisable when close to land and you cant keep watch, as you too will experience the pain of running a ground, like we all have at one point or another. Simply put when TWA is 'on', your boats projected path will "bend" with the wind. It can be unpredictable as weather patterns change and new data is loaded. I highly recommend supervision when using it.  Just start playing around with the navigational tools as a guest to get a feel for them, or dive straight in and get a full pack and experiment with a few things...It can be a very useful tool.   hope this helps... Cheers V

https://virtualregatta.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001530174-Is-the-heading-programmer-reliable-

Il y a 16 heures, Congo a dit :

Thank you so much for your time and answers. It's really helped me.

I have another question now regarding waypoints.

Let's say I set a course manually with the compass heading tool, with no waypoint set,

and no TWA locked on.

Does the boat sail directly ahead as if to a waypoint, and the waypoint's only real function is

to mark (and effect) a turn point? In other words, I don't need to use a waypoint if I only

wish to plan a single leg on a route, the boat's track will stay straight on my set heading?

That’s right.

Il y a 16 heures, Congo a dit :

In addition to my question just above, just one more point to clear up for me if you

don't mind please....

Is there any more risk of grounding with or without a waypoint in that scenario above, say, if you

sail by a  lee shore closely for example? As long as the heading clears the lee shore, I am

not at risk of grounding whether I have a waypoint set or not?

There is not more risk of grounding with or without WayPoint ...

Be careful anyway to take sufficient margin from the land.

WP allow sometimes to get more accurate headings when sailing along the coast ... as compass moves only by 1° steps.

Le 05/10/2019 à 15:06, HRobert23 a dit :

Hi,

here is the link to Help about waypoints ... for Virtual Regatta Offshore : www.virtualregatta.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000371933-Waypoints

The boat goes straight from one WP to the next one (Constant Heading), whatever the wind direction ... and the dangers.

Depending on how you define "going straight" on a sphere, it may not be the same as going at constant heading.

VR is unclear on this topic, but as far as I know

- When using a fixed heading (no TWA, no waypoints), the boat moves on the loxodromic (rhumb line), that is, it keeps its course angle.

- When using waypoints, the boat moves on the geodesic (great circle) instead, thereby slowly changing course angle. After passing the last waypoint, it keeps whatever course angle it has at that point.

19 hours ago, HRobert23 said:

There is not more risk of grounding with or without WayPoint ...

Be careful anyway to take sufficient margin from the land.

WP allow sometimes to get more accurate headings when sailing along the coast ... as compass moves only by 1° steps.

I would like to thank everyone for the help again.

The matter of "grounding" was not one I planned on discussing in this thread on waypoints,

however, I am going to ask it, as it is important, if not slightly related as well.

So, in the real world, there is no guess work when it comes to landfall or hazards, it's precise,

you either hit the darn rock or you miss it. It's on the chart for everyone to see. Shoal areas are

avoided by whatever margin the Captain deems safe, and we get on just fine without smashing our

boats up on all kinds of bad stuff, don't we?

Now, I'm not an ocean racer, I'm a coastal sailor with lots of local knowledge and a reasonable 

grasp on the charts and tools I use to keep a vessel safe. To an ocean racer, I might be considered

reckless in my approach to hazards, but I do not consider it any risk at all to take on a close shore

as long as conditions permit it. You will have your own opinions on the practice of sailing close by

shore, and I respect those.

However, VR Offshore is NOT the real world, therefore I need to understand what could cause a

grounding in this simulator.

Is it simply the outline of the shore, islands and reefs shown on the chart by white outline, ie. obvious

land on the charts? Or do we have to worry about shoaling, exposed rocks and submerged objects?

I see some lighter shading on the VR charts, some of which seem to represent real world reefs and

shoals, but I see VR boats sailing over these "hazards" with seeming impunity.

Edited by Congo
clarity

• 2 weeks later...