Virtual Regatta Club House

Penalty for maneuvering?

Congo

Hi,

I just realised I am probably making a huge mistake when sailing VR Offshore,

and I don't know what to do, so could someone please help me?

I am new to VR, and I don't use any third party software to assist with navigation as yet.

VR Support is extremely vague on all subjects regarding course navigation, and I want

to know what truly happens when I sail VR, and how my actions affect the progress of my

races.

To deduce my next heading change, whether to use waypoints, programmation or whatever,

I use the advanced wind tool as a temporary marker for comparison of predicted positions

when I make temporary course changes for comparison purposes.

I compare different routes every few seconds, and the course changes are almost always activated

before I can deduce whether they are beneficial or not. I may make a dozen or so comparisons

before settling on my preferred course of choice.

I noticed that you can buy "Winches Pro" which "reduces maneuvering time".

VR support is very vague about this feature, so my question is how long does it slow me down

each time I change course, by what percentage does it slow me down, and are the penalties

cumulative or consecutive, as I could easily be losing hours of race time just making a decision on a

change of course using my methods...... !

Please help me !

Congo on "Integrity"

* VR developers, maybe change the interface so we can activate the course changes manually

when we are finished our calculations, rather than automatically after a few seconds please?

Or, at least and option to do that if we choose, the interface is so very cumbersome and simplistic

with little explanation on how VR actually really works.

Edited by Congo
clarity

Should I be selecting "Winches Pro" rather than "Light Wind Sails" when I fit out my boat for the race?

I only get 2000VR to spend, so I can only choose one upgrade :P

What is the time penalty difference between having Winches Pro and not having it?

Edited by Congo
clarity

Hello Congo

Hereafter the link to quite detailed VR guide (in French but it could be an help ) : www.martinez58400.wixsite.com/navigationvirtuelle/guide-de-navigation-virtuelle

As far as penalties are concerned,  the game controls if there has been a change of tack or change of sail and applies the penalty. With each manoeuvre (transfer / jibe / change of sail), our boat is affected by a speed penalty of 5 min during which the speed is reduced to 50% .
The pro winchs allow manoeuvring penalty reduction from 300 seconds to 75 seconds.

• Like 1

Thank you Mick61 for the reply.

So, if it is 5 minutes penalty for each change, and I make 20 movements of the compass

to see what course works out best,

then, I am getting a 100 minute penalty !

No wonder my boat is so slow :P

Thank you also Vector, but the official help articles seem to be a conceptual guide only, 

and is of no benefit to understanding exactly how the simulator works, as there are no

details at all.

I have contacted VR and told them I am willing to write a detailed manual if they can tell me how

it works, but I've had no reply.

Edited by Congo

il y a 5 minutes, Congo a dit :

Thank you Mick61 for the reply.

So, if it is 5 minutes penalty for each change, and I make 20 movements of the compass to see what course works out best,

then, I am getting a 100 minute penalty !

No wonder my boat is so slow :P

To do simulations without taking penalties, you set up a 30-minute program in front of your boat and perform your test.

Once you have found the right route, you can delete this schedule that will come back in your stock.

After all, all you have to do is apply your strategy.

Sorry if my english is not perfect

Thank you Pat-Rock

So, set a programmation point 30 mins ahead of the boat, then simulate the course changes.

Ok, that sounds good, however, even when I do that, I get a confirmation that a new course is validated,

is this still without a penalty because the boat has not actually turned yet?

Edited by Congo

Il y a 1 heure, Congo a dit :

Thank you Pat-Rock

So, set a programmation point 30 mins ahead of the boat, then simulate the course changes.

Ok, that sounds good, however, even when I do that, I get a confirmation that a new course is validated,

is this still without a penalty because the boat has not actually turned yet?

Yes it is normal because you will have put a program.

But as there is no maneuvering the boat, he has no penalty.