Virtual Regatta Club House

road to sarasota

I wondered when somebody would change that thread title!

The bugs were awful that week and VR should have spoken up, but its hard to argue with the final group.  Clearly those are the most consistent players.

I know that area, you guys will enjoy it.  

Any idea what the winner gets?

il y a 47 minutes, KZ-7 a dit :

I received an invitation yesterday. I finished 12th so I'm guessing there must have been at least a couple of qualified sailors turning down the trip.

Congratulations KZ-7. It's nice to know New Zealand will be represented. I'll be rooting for you :D

Il y a 3 heures, KZ-7 a dit :

I received an invitation yesterday. I finished 12th so I'm guessing there must have been at least a couple of qualified sailors turning down the trip.

Great. It appears they are inviting more people that initially foreseen and i understood it is up to 8 people now. 

Il y a 8 heures, Fra47 a dit :

You can congratulate yourself as much as you want, all this has been unfair, discriminating and shameful.
For my part I would not be there with such a level of dysfunction during the playoffs

Why are you trying to throw a dark shadow on other peoples happiness? Don't be such a poor loser. I think anyone who plays the game regularly will agree that the players named in the finals, so far, all deserve to be there. If the playoffs had been "unfair, discriminating and shameful", as you suggested, then players that are not the top players would be on the list of finalists.

None of us liked the glitches in the game during the playoffs, but it was happening to all of us. To try to take away some of the glory and happiness of the people who made the final, that is what is shameful.

Learn to celebrate other peoples good fortune, not just your own, and you will become a much happier and liked person.

• Like 3

Thanks Popopop for letting us know. ( your were probably still in time for an emergency passport, but I would have loved to be at the desk when in need to explain the purpose : ) 

so is it Havuc  or @AUS-56448  the 8th one ? 

Edited by L1

It is not the joy of others that annoys me, it is the fact that all these selection events were tainted with malfunctions, luck or bad luck, that nothing was fair. In this case I am waiting for the selected ones to relay the voice of those who have been harmed by their chances, not only to expose their individual joy. For the rest I let you talk as much as you want.

Il y a 3 heures, Fra47 a dit :

It is the fact that all these selection events were tainted with malfunctions, luck or bad luck, that nothing was fair.

In this case I am waiting for the selected ones to relay the voice of those who have been harmed by their chances, not only to expose their individual joy. For the rest I let you talk as much as you want.

What do you mean "It is the fact that all these selection events were tainted with malfunctions, luck or bad luck, that nothing was fair"?   All. Really??? What a load of bull! For the first 6 or 7 days everything worked fine. The glitches started happening after that initial 6 or 7 days. By then most of the top players had already played their initial 33 races and were already at the top of the leader-board. The last few days when the glitches were happening players were trying to improve and maintain their position on the leader-board. When I look at the final score-board I do not see your boat 'FRA47' even in the top 50. So, either after your initial 33 races your score wasn't high enough to work your way up to be in the finals anyway, or, maybe you were waiting to race your 33 races towards the end when the competition might not be so tough, in which case you don't trust your ability and made a decision that back-fired. Bad luck buddy, but it was your strategy, and it didn't pay off.

And what do you mean "In this case I am waiting for the selected ones to relay the voice of those who have been harmed by their chances."? What do you want them to say, "sorry for beating you when the game had glitches that we all experienced." If you were 6th, and close to 5th, and the organizers only took the first five, then you might have something to complain about. But mate, your not even in the top 50, so as I said before either you were never going to make it, or you made a bad tactical decision to race at the end in an effort to gain an advantage, and it back-fired.

It is not the responsibility of the players/winners to apologize for the problems in the game. That is the responsibility of 'VR Inshore', the owners of the game, and I think most players are disappointed that they didn't give any information or apology for the glitch.

• Like 1

Il y a 3 heures, SteveB a dit :

What do you mean "It is the fact that all these selection events were tainted with malfunctions, luck or bad luck, that nothing was fair"?   All. Really???

SteveB.

I did not participate in the playoff, as I did not wait for positive changes in the game. Why? -- I had no other way to show everyone how seriously I take these races, while the organizers turned them into a platform for their experiments with players.

(I predict that in order not to lose face in front of professionals in Sarasota, VR will have to instruct racers not to create situations in which the official racing rules - RRS - will drastically differ from the 'bad' rules of the simulator. ? )

On 10/14/2018 at 9:19 AM, poppopop said:

Hello, I did not have a passport and I planned a family vacation.
I prefer to leave the chance to KZ-7 ! There was too much French in the final :)

Thank you poppopop, I'll try to make you proud!

Congratulations L1 on your ‘useless decoration and forever pride!’  Now you have time to go see Mickey Mouse!

Tough break that after weeks of hype the live feed was a flop.  Since its the first time it gets a pass in my book, but get your act together VR.  The next playoffs need to be better.

Glad for all the finalists and congrats again to a worthy winner.

• Like 1

Congratulations L1! 
Well done all guys !
You are the man !

Unfortunately, youtube live was cancelled due to technical problem, and I couldn't watch your races although I've waited in the midnight 2AM in Japan :D

The recording youtube video was issued now ,and I watched during my lunch time break.
That's great races !

I'm looking forward to seeing you on the water and enjoying race with you.

Again, well done !

• Like 2

Congratulations to all finalists and to VR for organisation and good time spent despite technical difficulties during play-offs.

unfortunately i could not se all regattas directly, but it’s a pleasure to look at YouTube movies.

Hope you can name all the faces of finalists in ordre to rencognise them all.

See you soon on VR inshore after a  good recovery.

Proud with french team and sure that next championship will be tougher with all saillons around the  world...

• Like 3

Hello, I only reconnect now with the forum. thanks you very much for your thanks in msg or DM. 

It has been such a great moment, and imo the best of it, has been meeting the 7 other guys in real life after racing against each others for the last 2 years.   I really feel live racing in the same place, although not easy to organize is a great thing.

Any of the 8 person in the room could have been the winner in the winner take all final race, and I had the tiny bit of luck that let me take the lead to the finish line. But i am also very proud of this win.

Regarding the live streaming yes it is very unfortunate, especially with the last hour decision,  but the reason is due to the constraints (state own building) of the arena we played in and they (3rd party streaming provider) did not want to take any chance to alter the races  by cloagging the network with the uplink video stream or stream in very low quality.  (alternative solution were not possible in reasonable cost).

It may sound odd in my mouth to say but VR team has been very good over there. We had a full feedback session with all 8 persons, and I am really under the impression that 1) they agree on many/most of the points we provided to them ( (including SRR) , and 2)  want to fix them once the route du rhum is past.

Also wordsailing team has also been great with everyone of us and have renewed their committed to esailing, so I really feel there will be more great events to come and be more organized than this year O in easiling.

We also had the chance to go for a real sailing with Torben Grael, and Sofia Bekatorou for example, and be part of the Gala that announced the sailors of this year, and it was a great fun.

@1000milliardsdemile at the beginning of the video we all enter one by one and they say which boat we sail. 

Finally some of the players may help grow esailing on their respective countries,  so maybe this may bubble even more. 

i am consolidating links and infos with this twitter account, twitter.com/l1inshore if any useful to someone.

Thanks Again. 

L1. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the report L1.  

It looked like VR and WS put a lot of effort into the event, and the video production was pretty good.  I enjoyed watching it and seeing all the players.  Problems happen with most first-time projects, but I thought overall it was cool.

If you have the ear of VR (or if they happen to be reading!), the weak point is the lack of communication.  I had to search for 20 minutes to find a French tweet that the live feed was not going to work.  Similarly in the playoffs I think most of us would have been happy to wait a day or two while the bugs got sorted, but nobody knew what was happening.

But for today enjoy being champion!

hi guys, back in France

an amazing stay in Florida
beautiful encounters, the sun, the party, a real "epic" sailing against Olympic champions where the esailors managed to run aground on a sandbar ?

oe2e.jpg

congratulations to @L1 who brings the title in France, to @crapulle/epicure for his silver medal & @alessandromerlino for his bronze medal... but also congratulations to all finalists for participation and their good mood

from left to right before rolex ceremony awards

@Velista71(ITA) - @KZ-7(NZL) - @alessandromerlino(ITA) - @LaMerNoire - BSP(FRA) - @L1(FRA) - @crapulle/epicure (FRA) -  @havuc (TUR) - @Cruzolator(ESP)

o2v2.jpeg

• Like 8

Hahaha 

Nice time there in Sarasota with these great people!! With the WS organization, really they did something incredible!

When i will have some time i will write my report!

Now you could follow me in the social networks!

Twitter @Cruzolator

Instagram @CruzoSailor

See you guys!

• Like 3