Virtual Regatta Club House

How to set up your own regatta

ManageThis

VR appears to only allow creation of individual races, with selection of location, class and minimum class size.  However, if you also set up a club, then any one in your club will have their scores accumulated and ranked.  Not quite the same as a regatta, as its possible to score in races that are not your custom club races....

Edited by Littleton Training
amplification

18 hours ago, Littleton Training said:

VR appears to only allow creation of individual races, with selection of location, class and minimum class size.  However, if you also set up a club, then any one in your club will have their scores accumulated and ranked.  Not quite the same as a regatta, as its possible to score in races that are not your custom club races....

How do you set up a Club? Have been looking but it's not obvious.

5 hours ago, ReadCommSail said:

Hi, yes I would also be very interested in setting up a club, especially if it allows the scores from custom races to be captured automatically.

From another post, it looks like you need to have posted 7 times to enhance your user status. But it's not clear...

On 3/29/2020 at 11:39 AM, Aero2684 said:

How do your members connect to a custom race?   Any advice appreciated

If you have assigned an 'access code' to your custom race, they just need to enter click 'join' then the ' lock >' key then enter the 'access code' then '>'.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:39 AM, Aero2684 said:

How do your members connect to a custom race?   Any advice appreciated

If you set up the custom race with  an 'access code', members just have to go 'custom race' > 'join' > '>' then enter the access code.

2 hours ago, OldWaszper said:

From another post, it looks like you need to have posted 7 times to enhance your user status. But it's not clear...

Do you mean that you have to post on this forum at least 7 times to enhance your user status?

Thanks for the feedback, we're slowly piecing this together.  When I eventually get to the point of being able to create a club and invite my friends to it,  will I be able to see their results only for the races that I organise for the club members?  I want to create a private race series so it is important that the system only shows me the results from those races (and not from every race that my members participate in).

I have now set up a 'Club' but I can only invite 'Confirmed Members' to join. There is provision for setting up an 'Event' but as far as I can see it can only be a 'VOR Inshore Race'. It also offers the option for setting up a regular series. However, having setting up a test event, I cannot see how one gets people to join or how one starts the race. I noticed that the RNZYS has set up a 'lockdown series' www.www.rnzys.org.nz/rnzys-events/esailing-lockdown-series/ but don't know how they have managed to set it up. I have sent a message to VR member 'L1' , who has obviously set up a number of custom series, asking if there are any written instructions or whether he can provide some guidance. I've also seen that there is an introduction to VR video on www.www.facebook.com/esailingtv/ , which might be useful to members.

22 hours ago, MikeGBR said:

If you set up the custom race with  an 'access code', members just have to go 'custom race' > 'join' > '>' then enter the access code.

Do you mean that you have to post on this forum at least 7 times to enhance your user status?

The comments below this post seems to suggest it's 7 posts on the forum. 

Just now, OldWaszper said:

As for everything else, it's not at all clear. I couldn't find any kind of user guide for VR Inshore.

41 minutes ago, OldWaszper said:

As for everything else, it's not at all clear. I couldn't find any kind of user guide for VR Inshore.

Hi Mike, how do I find the Bala Races?? Peter

I have now realised that Members have to be registered on the VR forum, as well as being registered players on VR Inshore, before they can be invited to join a Club.  As @Pat-Rock indicated, they do not have to be 'Confirmed Members'.

It now seems that the 'Create Event' facility, from the 'Club' page, simply generates a diary entry and means of members registering whether they are intending to race. The Event can only be set to be listed as an 'In Port Race VOR' but there is no reason why you can't choose to make it a VR Inshore Regatta Custom Race on the day.

There does not appear to be any means of setting up a series of Custom races in advance. Each race has to be individually set up just prior to the start of the race. It also appears that there is no mechanism for collecting or automatically determining a series' results. I think that I will enter the results into SailWave, rather than entering them into a spreadsheet.

I have written to RNZYS asking for confirmation of how they have set up their series, in case it differs from what I have outlined. I will copy you on their reply.

1 hour ago, PilotPete said:

Hi Mike, how do I find the Bala Races?? Peter

Hi @PilotPete , If they have been set up as a 'Custom' race with an 'Access Code', just go to VR Inshore > Custom Race > Join> enter Access Code. If the race hasn't been set up with an Access Code, you just need to look at the races that are running and find the one with players that you recognize.

I have received a very helpful reply from RNZYS. They have confirmed that they are setting up individual Custom races and that they are manually collating the results for a series.  They are considering using 'Sail Ranks' for the results.

I have also established that if you try to create an event using '+Create >Event', at the top of the Club screen, you are only given the option of creating a 'VOR  Inshore Race' , which then shows up on the Calendar but not on the Club's 'Event' section.  It also gives you no means of editing an event.

However, if you use 'Create Event, in the middle of the Club screen, the Event shows up on both the Calendar and the Club's 'Event' section and is editable. Ticking the RSVP box when you set up the Event, creates a box which allows members to indicate whether they 'Are going' 'Maybe' or 'Decline'.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, I am now also able to run a club and the feedback above is very useful, although mostly confirms the shortcomings that have been identified along with some workarounds.  I also have contacted the person at the RYA in the UK who is the primary contact for VRI with a note explaining that I am part of a couple of forums where there is discussion about making VRI optimal.  I have asked of that RYA contact is able to pass on some constructive suggestions and pass back a reply from VRI (or just put me in direct contact).  I'll update here if that approach goes anywhere.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:17 PM, OldWaszper said:

Did anyone succeed? How does it work?

6 hours ago, Cornes1985 said:

Hi, How long after 7 posts did it take?

Is it an automatic process or do we need to do something after having the 7 posts?

2 hours ago, ReadCommSail said:

Hi all, I am now also able to run a club and the feedback above is very useful, although mostly confirms the shortcomings that have been identified along with some workarounds.  I also have contacted the person at the RYA in the UK who is the primary contact for VRI with a note explaining that I am part of a couple of forums where there is discussion about making VRI optimal.  I have asked of that RYA contact is able to pass on some constructive suggestions and pass back a reply from VRI (or just put me in direct contact).  I'll update here if that approach goes anywhere.

Thank you! Any useful information or documentation is more than welcome!

Has anyone figured out a good way to score a series of custom races?

My club is looking at running a series.  In theory we can take screenshots and enter results into sailwave manually.  But it seems the custom race results disappear immediately after the last boat finishes, no way to check them afterwards. 

That's not great.  Any advice appreciated.

Hi @torsail , As far as I am aware, the result screen stays up until the race organiser presses the green return button.  We are currently just taking screenshots with a phone and then entering the results into SailWave. I have just started looking into SailRanks, which is in Beta development www.sailranks.com/v/signin . I have yet to determine whether it can automatically log race results.

gosh what a palaver, no wonder my clubs have not set up anything..  looking throughth list of races to find folk is pretty impossible as they do not have names etc.

which I applaud the RYA and VR to encourage this and I ma enjoying competing in the random races, I was hoping

aha need to add another post...

I was hoping to have a set or races at a given time with people I know , or maybe who I can get to recognise by their username.

as that kind of makes it more fun

I match race with a friend, I guess he ahs paid the £8.99 for VIP pass althgouh he said he didn't.

I cant set up these races but he can ..

I don't begrudge the 8.99 for a months fun but it woud lbe nice if the instructiosn were a bit more clear

on the other hand the gameplay and level of realism as a dinghy race is great

Have I got to 7 yet? in case I need to !

Gavin

@Harrier 25  You are only at 2 posts. You have to post in different threads or make sure that there is another posting between your posts, otherwise they will be grouped together as one.  There actually appears to be no great advantage in becoming a 'Confirmed Member'.  It does allow you to set up a 'Club' but other than being then able to post 'Events' on the VR Calendar, there really are no other benefits. Unfortunately, setting up a Club does not allow you to schedule races or collect series results.  FYI, it is not only VIP members who can set up custom races.  Anyone can, so long as they have accumulated or bought sufficient red tokens. 

@ClimberSails   No, you cannot see any results on the club page.  You do not need to be registered on this forum to play the game, You simply need to register for the game. Members who register on the forum can be invited to join a Club. The only apparent benefit is that it then allows them to indicate whether they are interested in participating in a listed club 'Event'  - in a similar manner to responding to a Facebook Event listing.